Calvert Grade 1
Watch your child read & write!
First graders build on what they learned in Kindergarten to develop phonemic awareness, comprehension, and vocabulary. Students build a strong foundation in Math skills and concepts.
English Language Arts:
Students gain independence in reading, learn more sight words, and become more adept at distinguishing vowel sounds. They write a narrative about their favorite day and create a persuasive poster about their favorite treat.
First graders investigate, analyze and interpret data, construct explanations and design solutions to demonstrate grade level proficiency. Students learn to predict movement pattern of objects in the sky and then compare the sky where they live to that of students around the world.
This course introduces beginning economics and good citizenship. By interviewing a family member, students come to understand how our country has changed over time. They learn about the many uses of maps by making a “Personal Atlas to My Life".
Students continue learning addition and subtraction—now with two digit numbers. They explore measurement, charts, graphs, time, money, and solid shapes. Students learn concepts by writing the biography of a number and creating a 3D cake design.
Young learners focus on ways to be more active. Topics of study include exercise safety, nutrition, and the values of cooperation and teamwork. Students learn age-appropriate motor, non-locomotor, and manipulative skills.
First graders develop a basic understanding of the aspects of health. Topics of study include personal safety, nutrition, communication, disease prevention, basic anatomy, and physiology.
Course content subject to change.
- Quick Checks – auto-graded assessments to gauge understanding
- Math In Focus G1 e-text
- Math In Focus Digi +
- Pearson ReadyGen Library e-texts:
- Time to Sleep
- The Winner's Choice
- Hunter's Money Jar
- Arbor Day Square
- Far From Home
- King Kafu and the Moon
- The Sun
- One Classroom, Many Cultures
- Whose Is This?
- How a Seed Grows
- Going to School
- Pearson ReadyGen Text Collection G1 e-text
- Pearson ReadyGen Reading Collection G1 e-text
- HMH Science Dimensions 1 e-text
- HMH ScienceFusion Virtual Labs
- HMH Science Dimensions You Solve It Simulations
- McGraw-Hill – Networks Social Studies: Our Community e-book
- BrainPOP Jr. Interactive Activities
- Discovery Education STREAMING Videos
- MyMath Digital Resources
- Legends of Learning Games