Calvert Grade 2
Fully immersed in reading & math!
Grade 2 builds on acquired skills and engages students with their community. Students become fully immersed in the world of independent reading and build a strong Math foundation.
English Language Arts:
Grade 2 students add more sight words and increase fluency by studying additional vowel sounds, blends, and suffixes. Learners use their skills when interviewing a community leader and then writing a biography about him or her.
Second graders identify and perform guided investigations about the properties of matter to create a matter scavenger hunt and use engineering principles to design a solution to prevent or slow natural erosive processes that changes the shape of the land.
Students study Native Americans and how the United States transitioned to a land of immigrants. Students will also learn about the U.S. government, economics and trade concepts. Learning is made fun by creating a travel guide of favorite places and making a plan to earn and save money.
Second graders study 3-digit numbers, addition and subtraction to 1000, mental Math, data collection, money,time, and shapes. Engaging projects include conducting a plant growth experiment and organizing a fundraising event.
Physical Education focuses on how to become more fit and healthy. Children learn about warm-up and cool down, water safety, goal setting, nutrition, muscle strength, and flexibility, and are required to participate in regular physical activity.
Art & Picture Study:
This course explores drawing techniques, perspective, and color theory and includes the discussion and analysis of famous works of art.
Course content subject to change.
- Quick Checks - auto-graded assessments to gauge understanding
- Math In Focus G2 e-text
- Math In Focus Digi +
- Pearson ReadyGen Library e-texts:
- Trouble at the Sandbox
- Disaster Alert!
- John Chapman: Planter & Pioneer
- Pioneers to the West
- On Meadowview Street
- The Earth Dragon Awakes
- Change Makers
- Money Matters
- Alexander Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday
- Friends Around the World
- 68 Ways To Save The Planet Before Bedtime.
- Pearson ReadyGen Text Collection G2 e-texts
- Pearson ReadyGen Reading Collection G2 e-texts
- HMH Science Dimensions 2 e-text
- HMH ScienceFusion Virtual Labs
- HMH Science Dimensions You Solve It Simulations
- McGraw-Hill - Networks Social Studies: Who We are as Americans e-book
- BrainPOP Jr. Interactive Activities
- Discovery Education STREAMING Videos
- MyMath Digital Resources
- Legends of Learning Games