Calvert Grade 4
4th grade curriculum is exciting!
The curriculum includes tips on differentiation so Learning Guides can adjust the lessons to accommodate students of different ability levels.
English Language Arts:
A shift toward explanatory/argumentative writing is marked by an increase in non-fiction reading. Students conduct research for an op-ed and then create an investigative journalism report for a news show.
Students apply their knowledge of natural earth processes to generate and compare solutions to determine the impacts of renewable and nonrenewable resources. Students employ the engineering design process to design, test, and refine a device to stay safe during a collision.
This year’s focus is on the geography and history of early North America, the Age of Exploration, Colonial America, the American Revolution, and westward expansion up until the Civil War. Students create virtual museum exhibits to showcase the history of their state.
Math dives deeper into addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, fractions, data, and graphing; measuring angles and symmetry; and calculating perimeter and area of square and rectangles. Students build a travel itinerary, budget for a trip, and use geometry to design a dream neighborhood.
Students learn age-appropriate motor, non-locomotor, and manipulative skills, and are required to participate in regular physical activity.
Art & Picture Study:
This course explores drawing skills such as perspective and color theory. Picture study includes the discussion and analysis of famous works of art.
Course content subject to change.
- Quick Checks - auto-graded assessments to gauge understanding
- Math In Focus G4 e-text
- Math In Focus Digi +
- Pearson ReadyGen 4 Library e-texts:
- A Tale Of Two Poggles
- A Tsunami Unfolds
- Anatomy Of A Volcanic Eruption
- Iopeners Skeletons, Inside And Out
- Lunch Money
- Mary Anning: The Girl Who Cracked Open The World
- Science Squad: Porpoises In Peril
- The Longest Night
- Three Native Nations: Of The Woodlands
- Plains & Desert
- Using Money
- Why The Sea Is Salty
- Pearson ReadyGen Text Collection G4 e-texts
- Pearson ReadyGen Sleuth Reading Collection G4 e-texts
- HMH Science Dimensions 4 e-text
- HMH ScienceFusion Virtual Labs
- HMH Science Dimensions You Solve It Simulations
- McGraw-Hill – Networks Social Studies: United States History e-book
- BrainPOP Interactive Activities
- Discovery Education STREAMING Videos
- MyMath Digital Resources
- Legends of Learning Games